Monday 4 January 2010

Listening to Love Stories

I am a sucker for a love story and I was rather treated to a feast this evening sat on my sofa.
I sat back head in hand and listened to a friend of mine retell her very own version of the Notebook - but without the happy ending ... just yet.

I think in life we are all too often overfaced with the negative - there are too many stories of heartache and heartbreak - a number which seems to far outbalance the stories of successful love. I prefer to think of this as being because once you're in love you're far too wrapped up in the euphoria of it, devoting your life to being love that you don't feel the need to go around writing about it - much too busy experiencing it.

I have never been the relationship type, I'm not for playing the game, I am (as my dear Julie Walter says in Mamma Mia) the "lone wolf *howls*" but I am a ridiculous romantic. I think this is part of my problem - I want my life to be like a soppy ending romantic film and anything less won't do. Madame Cynicism here knows that's not going to happen anytime soon but listening to my friend's story tonight rekindled that little bit of hope in me. Romantic films have to be fuelled by real life - the best story tellers write from the heart, from experiences... I shall remain living in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment